Social Security Benefits
A family member of the deceased may be able to receive Social Security death benefits if the deceased person qualified for benefits. We recommend contacting Social Security as soon as possible to ensure the family receives all of the benefits to which they may be entitled. Please read the following information carefully to learn what benefits may be available.
A one-time payment of $255 can be paid to the surviving spouse if he or she was living with the deceased; or, if living apart, was receiving certain Social Security benefits on the deceased’s record. If there is no surviving spouse, the payment may be made to a child who is eligible for benefits on the deceased’s record in the month of death.
Certain family members may also be eligible to receive monthly benefits, including:
- A widow or widower age 60 or older (age 50 or older if disabled);
- A surviving spouse at any age who is caring for the deceased's child under age 16 or disabled;
- An unmarried child of the deceased who is younger than age 18 (or age 18 or 19 if he or she is a full-time student in an elementary or secondary school); or age 18 or older with a disability that began before age 22;
- Parents, age 62 or older, who were dependent on the deceased for at least half of their support; and
- A surviving divorced spouse, under certain circumstances.
The Social Security website is a valuable resource for information about the Social Security programs.
There are a number of things you can do online.
In addition to using the Social Security website, you can call them toll-free at 1-800-772-1213. Staff can answer specific questions from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. They can also provide information by automated phone service 24 hours a day. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you may call the TTY number at 1-800-325-0778.
what our families say
Tiffany Foster went out of her way to fulfill all my requests, talked me through problems I was facing, and tried to make me feel as comfortable as possible when I was a wreck, totally crushed, and I thank her with all of my heart for that.
James S. | July 2020
The professional manner of the staff made a difficult time a little easier.
Lynda R. | July 2020
Services provided for both parents were perfect, on time, and no issues. Brenda is awesome and strong!
Michael M. | July 2020
Skyler was absolutely amazing. She was so caring and helpful through this whole process. She even went above and beyond to meet with us in DeForest and even to make a stop at our home to drop off or pick up anything needed. While it was a small gesture, it was so helpful and greatly appreciated.
Brooke S. | Dec. 2020